This will be our Victoria Chapter Annual General Meeting, and an update on Solar Colwood by Judith Cullington.
1. Solar Colwood: Retrofitting a whole community for energy conservation and renewable clean energy
We all know great examples of municipalities and businesses who have taken steps to reduce energy use and adopt clean energy technologies. But how do you get a whole community involved? Councillor Judith Cullington will talk about the joys, frustrations and lessons learned during the first year of the leading-edge Solar Colwood initiative - including solar hot water, solar PV, ductless split heat pumps, smart homes, electric vehicle charging infrastructure, and other energy conservation initiatives.
Judith Cullington is a councillor with the City of Colwood and the lead for the Solar Colwood program. In her ‘other’ life she is also a consultant who helps communities and organisations to move towards their sustainability goals. She is also the proud owner of a solar hot water system, an electric car, and a “smart home”.
2. Chapter AGM: We’ll be nominating and electing our Steering Committee, as well as hearing about what’s been happening in BCSEA both in the Victoria Chapter and across the province, and looking for direction from our members on what you’d like to see happen in the coming year. Only current BCSEA members are eligible to vote or stand for office.
Request for Volunteers: If you’re interested in climate and energy and wish to assist the BCSEA here in the CRD, please consider joining our Steering Committee. We can take on our own initiatives, or do some of the routine things which keep us running like buying coffee supplies or sending e-mails. It’s a great chance to network and meet people who are involved in sustainability and the local media. We’d especially like to include someone with connections to high school, college, or university level education.
Here are some examples of BCSEA Chapter activities you could help organise:
- Kamloops is full-on promoting outdoor clotheslines just now, with help from Home Hardware, the Kamloops City Council, and BC Hydro
- Victoria Chapter is organising an electric vehicle showcase in July;
- We had a successful, and contentious, ‘smart meter’ meeting in February