A ribbon-cutting ceremony on a Kelowna home will unveil a brand new solar hot water system. The install is a special one as it is taking place on a Habitat for Humanity home.
Along with the BC Sustainable Energy Association, The Okanagan chapter of Habitat for Humanity, which provides homes for low income, working families, has been raising funds for the install, with the main objective to promote sustainable energy and provide a house with less dependency on fossil fuels for energy use. According to Robert Dantzer, events coordinator for the HFH chapter, they also wanted to educate and familiarize stakeholders, building inspectors, the City of Kelowna and local contractors on their program. "This was by far our most significant achievement," says Dantzer.
The system has been installed, with the panels still due to go up. "This is an atypical mounting and needed to bring in an engineer," says Dantzer, explaining that the panels will be placed on the gable at the front of the house where there is southern exposure.
Swiss Solar Tech has been working on the install and some of the recent funding for the project came from a Spout Events presentation by, Sheila Whtt-Cloutier, an advocate for Inuit rights. Proceeds from the event were donated to the project. "Everyone involved starts with an 's'," says Dantzer. "It’s very fitting!"
- Brigitte Reimer, Chair, Board of Directors, Habitat for Humanity Kelowna
- Pastor Greg Bitgood, Founding Chair of Habitat for Humanity Kelowna
- Mayor Sharon Shepherd, City of Kelowna
- Theresa Eichler, representing the Real Estate Foundation of BC
- Steve Thomson, MLA, Kelowna-Mission
- Ron Cannan, MP, Kelowna-Lake Country
BCSEA solar hot water project
- Harri Henschler, Vice-Chair, Board of Directors (will introduce)
- Rob Dantzer or Dave Smith, Okanagan Chapter, BC Sustainable Energy Association (will introduce)
- Professor Carlos Teixeira, Urban Social Geographer and Association Professor, UBC Okanagan
Presentation to Partner Families
- Lori Christie, Chair, Family Selection Committee
- Morag, Family Selection Committee
For more information on upcoming fundraisers or to donate to the cause, contact Robert Dantzer.