The Transition approach involves the intentional engagement of local assets in order to build resilient communities: places that are more economically independent, ecologically sound, and socially connected.
In the face of diminishing supplies of fossil fuels, and the parallel depletion and /or compromise of other natural resources that we rely on, we are coming to realize that growth is not sustainable, and that reliance on imports from afar may become an impossibility within just a few years. Far from being in a hopeless situation, we have the ability to begin to respond to some of these challenges now. We can start down the 'transition' path.
Transition Towns are a response that is sweeping the globe and helping communities to start planning now, for tomorrow's challenges. Transition Towns (which were born in the UK) embrace the opportunity to become more self-reliant by supporting local citizens in a variety of working groups based on their interests.
In the UK and some of the US Transition Towns, these groups have focused on increasing local food production, encouraging alternative transportation, engaging youth in stories about their future, energy re-fitting of houses, and education related to building skills that we seem to have forgotten.
Neighbourhoods, villages, and larger communities are embracing the challenge with gusto, as they begin to place people above profits, discover the limits of consumerism, and undertake a local 'energy descent plan': weaning themselves from reliance on fossil fuels and other scarce resources. The results are more independent places, with deeper relationships with the land and each other.
Join us for a two-day workshop delivered by two North American instructors who have been trained directly by the founders of Transition in the UK. The session will provide you with the knowledge, tools, and skills to move your community to Transition thinking and doing!
A complete outline of the course can be viewed at: http://transitiontowns.org/TransitionNetwork/TransitionTrainingDetail
- To understand the context for Transition
- To understand the Transition Towns model as it has evolved so far - from inspiration to working groups
- To gain knowledge of the main steps of Transition
- To work out a plan of action for yourself and your locality
- To understand the inner and outer aspects of Transition
- To learn the elements of holding an inspiring talk on Transition Towns in
Please read before completing attached form (bottom of page).
- We encourage at least 2 people to attend from each community and for individuals to join with others who are interested, as opposed to attending alone.
- Registration will be on a first come first served basis for limited seats.
- Registration includes lunch, refreshments, and materials: please bring your own memory stick to copy the materials for your future use.
- $240 per person, payable in advance, by credit card
Payment of Fees:
To reserve your seat, pay by credit card.
Email your completed registration form (bottom of page) to email@example.com
Contact Stacey: firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.864.5770 ext.307
Thanks to the Transition Network of the UK: http://transitiontowns.org
Presented by the Centre for Community Enterprise: www.cedworks.com
With support from the BC Centre for Social Enterprise: www.centreforsocialenterprise.com