BCSEA invites members in good standing to apply for a seat on our Board of Directors.
The BC Sustainable Energy Association champions conservation initiatives and renewable energy while empowering British Columbians to build a clean, sustainable energy future.
Position Description & Link to Mission
BCSEA is an independent voice for British Columbia’s sustainable energy economy. We need non-profit and energy leaders who will help us with our generation’s greatest challenge: the transition to an equitable and prosperous low-carbon economy.
We promote sustainable energy in BC, including community engagement, public education, and policy advocacy, through public events hosted by our local chapters, articles, educational programming, online resources, and participation in electricity planning and government stakeholder engagement processes.
The Board role is one of governance and oversight. Our Executive Director and other staff are responsible for planning, management and day-to-day operations. As a Board member, you will be part of the team of professionals guiding the vision and strategy of the BCSEA. Your ideas, dedication and skills will help propel the organization to broader impact and effectiveness. You will see how BCSEA influences decision-makers and provides inspiration to our members, chapters and the general public.
We have an opportunity for new Board Members at our Annual General Meeting (AGM) in November 2015. To be eligible to become a Board member, you must have been a member of the BCSEA for at least 3 months prior to standing for election. Board members serve a two-year term and are eligible for re-election.
Skills and Experience
Specific Skills: We welcome a diversity of skills on our Board. Currently we are seeking new Board members with any of these proven skills and experience:
- Human Resources
- Fundraising and Coaching
- Business and Community Leadership
- Experience in renewable energy or energy conservation
General Skills: ability to work as part of a team; visionary; planning ability; strong communicator; knowledge of BCSEA; connected in community; ability to analyze and take risks; long term commitment to BCSEA.
- Commit to the mission and work of BCSEA
- Perform Board governance and oversight role including setting vision, mission and strategy for BCSEA; approve budget; review performance of Executive Director; provide fiduciary oversight; ensure compliance with laws and BCSEA Constitution and Bylaws
- Serve as knowledge centre in one of: board governance, finance, advocacy, energy policy, sustainable energy technology, energy retrofits, energy education or energy leadership in business or BC politics
- Attend quarterly Board meetings and regular committee meetings in person or via teleconferencing
- Promote BCSEA in the community
- Serve on a Board committee
Time & Travel Commitment
The Board member role is a volunteer position, which requires a minimum of three hours per month for two years, to attend and prepare for Board meetings. Board and committee meetings are held via teleconferencing. Board members may live anywhere in BC and typically meet in person twice each year, including a strategic planning session in the spring and the AGM in the fall.
Benefits & Recognition
- Know that you are putting your best efforts toward shifting British Columbia to an equitable, prosperous, low-carbon economy and lifestyle
- Contribute your knowledge and leadership expertise to further our mission and goals
- Connect with like-minded professionals who are passionate believers in our vision of a clean, sustainable energy future for BC
- Develop Board governance and leadership skills
- No paid compensation although your travel and other expenses will be reimbursed
How to Apply
To be eligible for election to the Board at our Annual General Meeting in late November, applicants must have been a BCSEA member in good standing by August 28, 2015. Please submit a resume and brief letter outlining your interest by October 15, 2015. Applications can be submitted via email to email@example.com.